Entitlement

I found this through Detail Medic (and she found it through Monkey Girl)

Healthcare Disfunction in Cleveland ER's

Click on the link. I've watched it three times and it gets better each time.

A good piece, I wish some of the local stations here would air something like this.

(Voice Over) "What's your emergency?"

(Random 911 callers)
"I keep peeing -- It's like I have to stay on the toilet..."
"I just can't sleep"
"I have a cold..."
"I have a boil in my armpit"

I absolutely LOVE the tone the reporter takes with some of Cleveland's finest ER patients. Priceless.

Reporter: "Is that the cut right there?" (camera zooms in on... i'm not sure what it is, a scar or a cut not visible to the naked eye)
Patient: "I was afraid it would become life threatening"
Reporter: "I didn't realize a little cut like that could become life threatening"

and my personal favorite...

(The voiceover tells us that this female had already been waiting ten hours in the ER to be seen for a bladder infection--keep in mind she got herself to the ER on her own)
Patient: "I was really an urgent patient and was being forced to wait. I didn't want to wait any longer, I wanted to be seen."
(Voice Over: So she headed home and called 911)
Reporter: "You're at a hospital, and you go home to get an ambulance to come back to the same hospital you've been at for ten hours."
Patient: (Smiling) "For ten hours."
Reporter: "Isn't this abuse of the EMS system?" (BINGO! WE HAVE A WINNER!)
Patient: "I think if you're feeling that bad and you're really in that much pain and you have a way of being seen faster... take that ride"
(Voice Over: Her strategy failed, She spent another six hours in the waiting room.)

What really just blows my mind is that these people see absolutely nothing wrong with what they're doing. It never ceases to amaze me.

Let me rant for just a second... (please pardon the liberal use of caps and exclamation points)

JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE MEDICAID AND THUS A FREE FLIPPIN AMBULANCE RIDE DOES NOT MEAN YOU GET TO USE IT AS A FLIPPIN TAXI!!!!

JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT BEING SEEN QUICKLY ENOUGH IN THE ER DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD GO HOME AND CALL FOR A FLIPPIN AMBULANCE! Chances are the nurses are just going to sit your dumb ass in the waiting room while they treat the people are *pauses for dramatic effect* ARE ACTUALLY HAVING EMERGENCIES!!!!

Emergency Rooms are for.... EMERGENCIES!!!!! Holy cow what a concept.

1 comment:

Detail Medic said...

Amen. I once had a guy with an infected toenail INSIST we take him on the 25 minute drive to the ER even after I told him the wait was over 6 hours. One of our hospitals is close to a mall. WE're wondering if they just want the free ride to the mall...