Sometimes Mom is Right. 5 Of My Very Worst Ideas

5 Of My Very Worst Ideas

This post is dedicated to my Mom, who reminds me on a daily basis that “she does indeed know what she’s talking about” and that “maybe I should listen to her on occasion.”

Contrary to popular belief, not every decision I make is a good one (I know, I can hardly believe it myself). Presented below for your reading pleasure are my five favorite worst ideas.

5. “Honey, I think we should get another cat!”

My mom told me this was a bad idea from the start. We already had one cat, and she was enough trouble as it was. (Twix the cat had an eating disorder. Nothing worse than a cat who binges and purges.) Pseudo Dad had an extra kitty he couldn’t take care of… and he was SOOO cute. And I’m a sucker for a cute kitty. Besides, my logic was what would the chances of having TWO cats with emotional issues? As it turns out Bentley, that cute ball of black and white fur, liked to leave piles of crap everywhere. EVERYWHERE. In my shoe, back in the hidden corners of closets, basically everywhere but in his very clean litter box. To add insult to injury Twix decided to start eating Bentley’s food in addition to her own, resulting in even more cat vomit. It was a nightmare. We will NEVER get another cat. Mom was right.


4. “Of course I can handle my own checkbook”

I do not have a good track record with my finances. It’s not something I’m proud of, and I’m working on it to this day. My mom made it very clear that I should not be in possession of ANY check book or debit card until I can get my spending habit under control. I was doing so well. I really was. Then last December I forgot to enter a check into the register and ended up bouncing NINE checks as a result. Most of them for small purchases under ten dollars. Each bounced check cost me $42.00. Mom was right yet again.



3. “But Mom, EVERYONE is joining a sorority!”

Let me start by saying that joining a sorority in itself is not a bad idea. Joining a sorority when you’re stupid and immature and moving away to college is a bad idea. I partied a ridiculous amount and blew off school and was in general a complete idiot.
Mom was right.


2. “I’m moving to Colorado.”

Once again, this was not something I absolutely regret. (That seems to be a theme in this post, isn’t it?) I was young and in love with Air Force Academy Cadet Boy. I loved every second I spent in Colorado Springs. But I wasn’t ready to live clear across the country from my friends and family. If I had to do it all over again I would have waited.




1. “I want to go to Medic School in Ann Arbor.”

I do not regret going to Medic School. I regret going to Medic School in Ann Arbor. The drive was close to an hour each way, and with all of the clinicals involved… Well, I can’t even imagine what I spent in fuel alone. Had I just waited and gone to a more local school I’d be done by now. And I’d have two thousand dollars spent on gas in my pocket.


Okay, so now that I’ve bared my soul to you all, you might be asking what I’ve learned from my
favorite mistakes. I’ve learned that I’m a very emotional person, and I make a lot of decisions
based on that emotion as opposed to mature, logical thought. I’ve known for awhile that I need to work on that, and I am.

Most importantly I’ve learned that sometimes my Mom is actually right. More often than not she is in fact. She has my best interests at heart, and I know that.

So this post is for you, Mom. You were right. And I was serious when I said that I’d have a t shirt printed that said the same. Okay, so I haven't bought it yet, but I will eventually :)

No comments: