Maybe it's time for an alarm system.

I'm afraid that I'm a little too freaked out to word this eloquently (like I've ever been eloquent in the past)...

Future Cardiologist has to be to school by 0815. The Little Girl does not take kindly to this as she has to go with me to take him and she's not typically awake until nine. So needless to say I was juggling one boy who didn't want to go with one girl who was crying and in general just being a pain in the backside.

And I hadn't had my coffee yet. *sigh*

I drag them out to the car. She Who Rules's bedroom window faces the driveway. I notice immediately that her screen is pushed up and her window is open.

My first thought: What the HELL?
My second thought: Oh my GOD someone tried to break in. HER room. My THREE YEAR OLD'S room.

Instant panic.

My third thought: Thank God that A) She was in bed with me again and not in her room and B) the secondary window locks were set, so her window only went up four inches. It's little consolation.

I'm going to go cry now. And probably check to make sure that all of my windows are secure.

13 comments:

Odie said...

that is mighty scary, i think i'd have reacted the same way.

I don't have any rugrats running around the house so the mossberg under the bed is an extra level of protection.

Epijunky said...

I'm kicking around the idea of making a similar purchase. My Mother is dead set against it, but I'm working on that.

Ambulance Mommy said...

oh god, epi, my heart just dropped reading this story....

any of your neighbors have any damage/see anything?

Epijunky said...

The house to the right of mine is for sale (empty. yay.), the house on the other side has a good neighbor in it, but he's not home for me to ask. If he had seen something he would have come out guns blazing.

I haven't had a chance to ask our nosy neighbors across the street.

When I checked the other windows one in my sons room was open as well. Again, the second set of locks were active so the window wasn't open more than a few inches. Screen was pushed up too.

Detail Medic said...

Thank god you have those secondary locks!!

Chris said...

Glad you're all ok. Good job She Who Rules was with you!

Anonymous said...

I would call the police department to make them aware of the situation. They might send an extra patrol unit down that way at night for a week or so to make sure things stay quiet. Also, they might have a clue of who's doing it. The police know who's the usual suspect in certain areas, and they might beable to give you some extra ideas on how to protect your house.

Ambulance Driver said...

Get a gun. NOW.

lucy said...

Epi love...this same thing has happened to my 25 year old daughter in the last week. We were fortunate as well.

We are looking into installing motion detecting lights on both corners of her building (not going to wait for the owner to do it).

At the same time she is going to get a gun courtesy of her mother. But that is not enough. She will also go through the proper training before she gets it.

As a certified firearms instuctor, I highly recommend you do the same. You also need to put your kids through an Eddie Eagle course before you have a firearm in the house. It will help keep them safe too.

If you need any info and I can help, let me know...hugs and love your way girl!

none said...

Not good. The cut off broomstick propped into the window frame is a good temporary trick.

You can also attach carpet tack strips to the outside ledge of your windows or place 2x4s with nails driven through them face up just outside the windows on the ground floor.

Epijunky said...

Hammer. You are brilliant. Seriously. Thank you for the excellent advice.

Anonymous said...

I'll third, fourth and fifth the gun suggestion.

Hammer's ideas all have merit, as well.

And call the po-po and let them know what happened. If they increase patrols -- or just come poke around, very visably -- it will have an effect.

Brent Greer said...

Epi,
I echo Lucy's comment. Get it, but get training. Don't buy something then stick it in a drawer. And then practice. Perfect practice makes perfect!