The Glass Pavilion at the Toledo Museum of Art

A few more pics from last week.

The Glass Pavilion at the Toledo Museum of Art houses one of the largest collections of glass art in the world. The building itself is primarily constructed of large curved panes of glass that "blur the boundaries between interior and exterior spaces."

It's extraordinary to see.

They have these fantastic studios where you can watch artists create beautiful works out of glass. The kids actually sat for almost half an hour watching a Glass Blower. It was impressive.

Here's a few of my favorites from the Pavilion.


I wish that I had taken down information on this piece, I was fascinated by it.

The Libbey Punchbowl. created for the 1904 World Fair. At the time it was said to be the largest single piece of cut glass in the world. It weighs a whopping 143 lbs. My picture of this piece doesn't begin to give it justice... It truly sparkles like diamonds and has been one of my favorite pieces at the museum.

The finishing work on the punchbowl (a definite understatement) was done by two of Libbey's greatest glass workers.

The end result earned the work the World Fair Grand Prize Medal for cut glass. It truly is spectacular to see.

Last but not least, something completely different. As the mother of two little ones, I use a lot of Windex. Given the fact that we were at the GLASS Pavilion, I got a giggle out of this:



Yep. That's a bottle of Windex, covered in glass seed beads. Priceless. Yet oddly appropriate ;)

No comments: