The “B” Word. (Originally Posted July 16, 2006)

The first time I said “I’m bored” while at work the hospital was evacuated for a Tornado and the city flooded.

The second time… well…

*RIIIIING*

EpiJunky: The Closet
Dipatch: Are you guys in the station?
EpiJunky: *laugh* Uhm, you called us here.
Dispatch: You might want to get out, the ER’s on fire.
EpiJunky: Excuse me?
Dispatch: THE ER IS ON FIRE GET OUT.
EpiJunky: *Rubbing my eyes* The ER’s on FIRE? But—
PseudoDad: THE ER’S ON FIRE? Hang up.
EpiJunky: We’re outta here.

*click*

Now PseudoDad is the Fire Chief at Podunk Twp. Fire Department. He’s been a Firefighter for 16 years. I normally trust his judgment completely. But when we opened the door and there was smoke in the hallway and the very strong smell of what I can only describe as burnt metal and he still took off for the ER (about ten feet away)… Well, let’s just say I doubted his sanity. I booked it for the nearest exit.

As I came out the door into the cool night air I was assaulted by the blinding red lights of at least ten fire trucks.

The first thing that went through my head was “Holy crap.” Followed immediately by “Where’s PseudoDad?”. He came out of the ER doors ten seconds after that.

PseudoDad: See what happens when you say you’re BORED? You need to stop that.
EpiJunky: *Laugh* You save some lives in there?
Pseudo Dad: Minor Electrical fire… Already out.
I check in with dispatch and let them know we’re gonna be on the portable for a bit.
Pseudo Dad: I meant it about the “B” word.

No comments: