Old Fashioned Kinda Girl (Originally Posted Sunday, September 03, 2006)

I grew up in a decent enough neighborhood. People took pride in their homes, they raised their children the right way (or at least tried to), and they respected authority figures, teachers, police officers, parents…

My family was not well of by any stretch, but I never wanted for anything. (My mom laughs when I say this, because she feels like we were dirt poor and she couldn’t provide us with enough. She’s insane, but I digress.)

I was raised to be grateful for what I had. I was raised to respect my elders. I was raised to not act like an idiot. (I need to work on that from time to time.) I feel like I was raised with a good head on my shoulders. And excellent hair. But anyway. I owe this to my mom. I work hard to instill this in my kids.

If there’s one thing I cannot stand, its people who think they are privileged due to their status (or more accurately, their PARENTS) status in life. I absolutely detest this. I see it all the time, and I have seen it for most of my life. I have yet to actually accept this behavior as “that’s just how some folks are.” I need to work on that, because little ole EpiJunky is not going to change the world.

These kids who think they can get away with murder because Mommy and Daddy own their own business and have monstrous amounts of cash… IT MAKES ME INSANE. There’s nothing wrong with having money, having nice things. But when you expect to be treated better because of this, when you think people owe you something because of it, when you think you can keep your sorry butt out of trouble because of who Mom and Dad are…

What set me off…

Yesterday while at work we get dispatched code 3 to the scene of an accident in a major intersection.

The first thing I notice is that both cars are totaled.
The next thing I notice is a teenager on his cell phone, turning his back on a police officer (who looks seriously pissed). The teenager is whining like a five year old on the phone. It reminded me of my son when he’s tired and really wants that last snack for the night.
The Police officer is telling him repeatedly to get off the phone. The kid is ignoring him. Like he doesn’t exist.

At this point I have to focus my attention on my patient.

Come to find out later on at the hospital, this kids license is suspended. He has NO ID on him. He said he had work privileges. Of course it’s 10pm on a Saturday night his work privileges refer to his position at a Law Office and he’s dressed like he’s going to a party with three of his closest friends, but what do I know?

I would have taken great joy in yanking the cell phone out of that kids hand and sending it sailing into the intersection he personally closed down. Then I would have unceremoniously tossed his butt into the back of the squad car. And that, my friends, is why EpiJunky would make a horrible Police Officer.

BTW, the last time I saw my patient they were kicking everyone out of the ER room. I hope she ends up okay. I think she will. Thank GOD the kid and the passenger with her were okay. Everyone was restrained and the airbags did what they were supposed to.

I've made some mistakes in my life. I've gotten in trouble. And you know what; my family bailed my butt out (not literally). And you have to do it once... But I really believe that after your one youthful indiscretion, you're on your own... If you keep saving your kids over and over, they'll never learn.


Maybe I’m completely out of tune with reality. I hope not.

No comments: