A whole new shade of green. (5-06)

I am an EMT.

A year ago, I had this glorified image of what this meant. Seriously. You picture the dedicated men and women in uniform, flying towards the scene with lights and sirens screaming.... Adrenaline pumping... Saving lives, CPR, broken glass everywhere... Jesus Mother of GOD was I off.

I might have been way off, but that doesn't mean I don't love it just as much. I love seeing some of the same people once a week. I love taking care of these people, even if it's just for a short time on the way to wound care, or on the way home from dialysis...It's not glamorous, I don't like vomit, or urine... or nasty sores, or body funk. But the moments where I make someone smile... laugh even... I'm not changing anyone's life, but as a friend said... God put us here to do what we can for these people...today.

I know that I haven't been doing this very long... I'm not even sure that there's a word to describe the shade of green that I am..... But as of right now, bad pay, bad hours, not seeing my kids and husband nearly as much as I should... all of these things... I still love it. I love going into work every day. I guess that's a good thing, right? People always say to find something you love doing.... I love this job.

Post script: I realize I'll probably be feeling WILDLY different about this in a few years... I may even grow to hate it... I just hope when that time comes I have the sense to find something else to do.

No comments: