Some People (5-21-06)

My thoughts... Nothing earth shattering today... Just basic life kinda stuff.

There are some people who can make a 12 hour shift seem like 48 hours. And there are some people who can make a 12 hour shift seem like an hour and a half. I realize this is true for any job and any shift, but in a job where you have a partner that you live with... It's even more true.
I've been very fortunate over the past several weeks...

A little backstory first. Due to my unfortunate hire date and a new driving policy, Pseudo Dad and I have to be temporarily split up. Being that neither of us can drive code 3 (even though he's got more driving experience than most of the other employees at the Little Ambulance Service That Could, again, that driving policy... I digress) we have to work our shifts for the next couple weeks with other people. Basically, we show up for our shift and dispatch directs one or the other of us to go to a different station to switch with one of those people. Most of the time they're cool about it. Sometimes they seem totally put off. And I understand that, I do. As long as they remember *WE* didn't ask to be put in this position.

Wow, I'm not horribly articulate this morning.

Take last night for example. I worked at 33 with two people who have consistantly made me laugh. And as an EMT, laughter is directly related to sanity. Or insanity maybe... But mostly sanity. There aren't enough cool people like them in the world.

Okay, enough about that. Here's a little mini-rant for you.

Who calls 911 because their back hurts? We're not talking about having your back go out, which has happened to me (I still managed to drive myself to the hospital, btw.) and is seriously painful. We're talking "Oh my achin' back". Seriously? Some of the county calls (911) we get are mind blowing. You have a toothache at 3 in the morning... So the first thing you think is... I better call 911? WTF???? SERIOUSLY.... DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT COSTS TO RIDE IN AN AMBULANCE??? It's cheaper to call a cab, jump on the bus... call a friend for God's sake!

The Future Cardiologist knows when it's appropriate to call 911 -- AND HE'S SIX!

I guess it's job security. And I'm still going to be polite, courteous, professional, etc to each and every one of these people, but lord...

Oh well.... *shrug* Maybe that's why I enjoy transfers so much... These are people who have a legit reason for needing an ambulance. AND they're the runs that pay the bills...

No comments: